Bicentennial Logo
City of Westlake
27700 Hilliard Blvd.
Westlake, OH 44145
440.871.3300
M – F: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Bicentennial Sponsors:













View the latest issue of Westlake Magazine



Bicentennial Steering Committee

Dennis M. Clough, Mayor
Honorary Chairperson
440.871.3300

Robert M. Parry
Chairperson
Retired Director of Planning & Economic Development Department
440.617.4307
bparry@cityofwestlake.org

Lysa Stanton
President, Westlake Historical Society
440-721-1201

Bob Hertl
Bonnie Freeh
Chris Bauer
Chris Stuhm
David Pfister
Jaclyn Todd
Joyce Able Schroth
Michael Rump
Rick Grane
William Kraus
Dave Rencehausen


Founders' Walk Bricks
To view the brick location map for the Bicentennial Founders' Walk at Clague Park, click here.

Top


image Leverett Johnson: The First Settler
Born in Connecticut, Leverett Johnson was the first to clear land (in 1811) in what is now Westlake. Three years later, he built a log house at Porter and Center Ridge roads for his bride Abigail Cahoon. They raised nine children on this land and donated some of it for Evergreen Cemetery. Johnson was a Justice of the Peace, a township trustee, a county commissioner and a five-time Ohio state legislator. The Johnsons are buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Top


Milestones in Westlake History
  • Dover Township incorporated            11-14-1811
  • Dover Village incorporated                  03-15-1911
  • Name changed to Westlake Village  08-21-1940
  • City of Westlake incorporated             12-18-1957

image Porter Video
Leonard Porter lived in what is now Westlake in the mid 1800s. As a teacher, choir director, township trustee and justice of the peace, he had a large role in shaping our community. Here he tells us what life was like back then. watch video...

200 Years of Westlake History - Things you need to Know

Top ten things you need to know  - Volume I

Top ten things you need to know - Volume II

Top


Founding Families (click on family to see more..)
image The Cooleys - Asher Cooley was born in Hawley, Massachusetts, in 1787 and married...read more
image The Johnsons - Leverett Johnson began clearing land in the vicinity of Columbia and Center Ridge roads in 1810 or 1811... read more
image The Crockers - In 1811, Noah Crocker and his wife and three children were among the first residents of the part of Dover that would later ...read more
image The Clagues - Robert and Margaret Clague emigrated from the Isle of Man with one daughter in 1837... read more
image The Porters - Leonard Porter was the tenth born of eleven children. His elder brother Nehemiah moved to Dover ... read more
image The Schwartzes - It was occupied as early as 1874 by John Schwartz, for whom Schwartz Road is presumably named... read more
image The Westons - Between the years 1855 and 1872, George Weston, who had been born in Euclid Ohio in 1819... read more
image The Hursts - The Hurst brothers, Thomas, Josiah and William, who arrived in Dover in the 1830s from Northamptonshire, England... read more
image The Albers - Frederick Albers came to America in 1856 from his native Hanover, Germany, in search of religious freedom... read more
image The Halls - Moses Hall purchased large amounts of land in the Western Reserve and gave 100 acres to each of his sons... read more