Welcome from the Mayor
City of Westlake
27700 Hilliard Blvd.
Westlake, OH 44145
M – F: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Westlake Laws for Everyday Life

Animals: Are not permitted to run at large and must be kept under control. Dogs must be on a leash and all animals must have current rabies shots.

Automobile Sales: Seller must obtain a permit from the building department.

Barbecue Grills: Storage and use restricted in apartment/condominium complexes. Those that produce flames cannot be used on balconies of multi-family residential structures or within 15 feet of any structures. (See LP tanks for storage info)

Easements: Many properties have storm sewer easements. Before adding trees, shrubs, fencing or gardens over easements, contact the Engineering Department to obtain a $5 permit. Fences require an additional building permit; see below.

Fences: A building permit is required in residential areas—they are generally prohibited in front yards. Fences are permitted along interior side and rear lot lines to a maximum height of six feet, with the finished side facing the neighboring property. Corner lots have additional standards.

Firearms, BB Guns and Air Soft Guns: Cannot be discharged within the city limits. Firearms cannot be carried into any city building by anyone except law enforcement officers. There are numerous other locations where firearms may not be carried, including churches, schools, and various types of businesses. See Section 2923 of the Ohio Revised Code for more information.

Fireplaces and Chimneys: Multi-family residential structures require annual, private inspection and maintenance. (Ord. 1501.16)

Fireworks: The possession, sale or discharge of fireworks is prohibited. (Ord. 1519.04)

Grading and Drainage: When you are having a drainage problem or planning on regrading or filling any portions of your property, a grading permit may be required. Contact the Engineering Dept. prior to doing any work for a complimentary evaluation of your property issues.

Home/Yard Sales: A permit must be acquired from the Building Department prior to conducting the sale. Only one sign advertising the sale is permitted.

Home/Yard Maintenance: Outdoor operation of domestic tools such as saws, drills and lawn equipment and garden tools (except snow removal equipment) is prohibited between the weekday hours of 9 p.m. to 8 a.m., and Sunday/holiday hours of 9 p.m. to 9 a.m.

LP Tanks: Standard grill size tanks and larger are prohibited in apartment/condominium units including balconies, porches, basements, corridors, and any space within the building.

Open Fires/Burning: No open burning is permitted except for small, controlled cooking fires. Fires for the purposes of burning garbage, landscape waste or any other trash/waste are prohibited. (Ord. 1511)

Parking: is prohibited on city streets between the hour of 3–6 a.m. Trucks, trailers or semi-trailers may not be parked on the street in front of residential property unless the vehicle is disabled or being unloaded. Recreational equipment boats, motor homes and truck campers many not be parked for more than 72 hours in a three-week period unless owned by the resident and not in use. Do not park on both sides of a street, even if no signs are posted. Whenever possible, park on the non-hydrant side only.

Remodeling or Adding to Houses, Swimming Pools, Tennis Courts and Outdoor Lighting: Check first with the Building Department to determine if a building permit is required. This also applies to accessory buildings such as prefabricated tool or garden sheds, as well as the erection of fences. Contractors working on your home must be registered with the city. A list of registered contractors may be obtained in the Building Department.

Satellite Dishes: A building permit from the Building Department is required for the installation of a dish antenna more than two meters in diameter.

Smoke Detectors:Required in all residential tenant areas of multi-family apartments and condominiums, and in all newly-constructed single family homes.

Solicitors: Person selling items door to door must have an official city license. Persons asking for donations to charities or non-profit groups must notify the Police Department in advance of going door to door.

Swimming Pools: All swimming pools must be enclosed by a 4-foot fence. Spas and hot tubs may have an approved cover in lieu of a fence.