27700 Hilliard Boulevard
Westlake, OH 44145
Monday – Friday
8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The Law Department pursues the City in all legal matters and defends all actions on behalf of the City or against
the City in all Ohio and United States courts or agencies — from filing through discovery, trial and any necessary appellate work.
John D. Wheeler
Assistant Law Director
Robin R. Leasure
Joseph M. Giersz
Sean F. Kelleher
Gregory M. Sponseller
Jenny L .Sfiligoj
- Works with the mayor, city council and the administration to ensure enforcement
of the Codified Ordinances and Charter of the City of Westlake.
- Prepares ordinances and resolutions for passage by the legislative body.
- Prepares easements and other related documents for large public improvement projects.
- Prepares and reviews all contracts for tax abatements, necessary services and supplies, cooperative agreements with other political subdivisions,
cellular tower collocation agreements, lease agreements, land purchase agreements, and miscellaneous contracts and agreements.
- Attends Council, Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Civil Service, council committee, staff and other miscellaneous meetings as requested.
- Provides daily rendering of legal opinions and advice to council, mayor, and administration.
- Continually updates and improves the Codified Ordinances of the City of Westlake.
- Prosecutes all actions on behalf of the City of Westlake in Rocky River Municipal Court, as well as provides legal opinions, advice and support
to the Police Department.
- Monitors the City's Land Bank program.
- Processes all tax exempt land applications on behalf of the City.
- Provides general counseling and legal advice to administration regarding all personnel issues.
- Assists in negotiating union contracts.
- Represents City in labor disputes including grievances, unfair labor practices, mediations, and conciliations.
- Represents City on employee matters before administrative agencies of the state of Ohio.
- Assists in representation of city as to workers compensation claims.
- Administers the City's gas and electric aggregation programs.
- Acts as the consumer complaint division for cable television.
- Department of Law attorneys are not permitted to give personal legal advice. Those needing legal advice or assistance should contact private attorneys or the Legal Aid Society.
CITY ELECTRIC AGGREGATION PROGAM |
The city has teamed up with First Energy Solutions (FES) to provide the residents with an Electric Aggregation program. During the Opt-Out Periods, all residents are
automatically placed in the program unless they specifically request to opt-out. There is no cost for enrollment. As members of the program, residents are guaranteed to save 6%
off of the "Price to Compare." The "Price to Compare" consists of bypassable generation and transmission related components, which are the charges associated with the costs for purchased power and to deliver the power through the transmission system.
To estimate your savings per Kilowatt-hour, you need to get a copy of your bill and find the "Price to Compare" on your bill. Divide the "Price to Compare" by 100, then multiply by 0.06% to determine your savings per KWH.
Multiply that number by your total monthly usage. The final number is what you can expect to save each month you use the same amount of electricity.
If you are not part of the program and wish to join, please contact First Energy Solutions at the number below. Enrollment takes approximately 30-45 days depending upon your meter read date.
If you have any questions regarding this program or would like to know how it will affect your electric bill, please contact FES directly at 1-866-636-3749.
PRIVATE FES CONTRACT/CANCELLATION FEES
FES has advised the city that they are willing to offer the members of the city's aggregation program a fixed rate private contract. Members of the Aggregation Program will not be charged a fee to switch from the Aggregation Program to a fixed rate private contract with FES
and they may go back to the Aggregation Program at anytime without fee or penalty. As is the case with all private contract offers, residents who enter into a private contract with FES for a fixed rate would be
subject to a $100 cancellation fee if they elected to leave the private FES contract during its term and contract with another supplier. Residents who
are interested in a FES fixed rate offer should contact FES directly, at 1-866-636-3749.
Many residents/aggregation members have asked if there is a cancellation fee for leaving the city's aggregation program and electing to enter into a private contract with a supplier other than First Energy Solutions. The cancellation fee for leaving the program is $25.00. Every 3 years the program offers an opt-out period where residents may leave the program
at no charge/fee. The next opt-out period is in the winter/early spring of 2015. Notices are sent to members of the program regarding the opt-out period.
The City of Westlake does not offer a gas aggregation program. Residents are directed to consult the PUCO's website (see link below) should
they be interested in selecting a gas supplier.
Go To www.energychoice.ohio.gov for additional information:
The PUCO's website www.energychoice.ohio.gov is dedicated to consumer education regarding
electric and natural gas choice in Ohio. The website was developed specifically to be the premier resource for Ohio’s energy consumers seeking
information and offer comparisons regarding electric and natural gas supplier choices. The site offers information to help consumers understand
electric and natural gas choice, including what steps need to be taken when switching suppliers; what their rights are as a consumer; what aggregation is;
apples to apples comparison charts and a frequently asked questions page.
“Update on Electric Aggregation 3/6/15:
Residents of the City of Westlake are in an “opt-out period.” Residents are currently receiving letters from the City sent by First Energy
Solutions alerting you that you will continue on in the City’s Aggregation Program or be added to the Aggregation Program unless you take the
necessary steps to opt-out. You may opt-out of the program at this time by completing the form and mailing it to First Energy Solutions at
341 White Pond Drive, Bldg. B-2, Akron, Ohio 44320, by March 23, 2015. If you are currently a member of the program and you chose to
opt-out of the Aggregation Program at this time you will not incur the normal $25 cancelation fee. If you chose to opt-out
after March 23rd you will be charged a cancelation fee of $25.”