Rumpke Curbside Recycling
Place recycling in the provided Rumpke 65-gallon recycling cart. Recycling must be left loose, do not use bags. Recyclables should fit in your cart. Excess recycling cannot be placed in bags next to your recycle cart. Make sure you are recycling properly by breaking down cardboard boxes and only recycling the items identified on the lid of your recycling cart. Personal cans cannot be used and will not be serviced.
Responsible recycling habits help reduce the amount of items in our landfills. Too much "wish-cycling" of items, attempting to recycle those that are not currently accepted for recycling, can contaminate the load and cause all of the items to be rejected by the processor. The load then is sent to a landfill.
What Belongs In Your Recycling Bin?
Exciting recycle change:
Rumpke and the City of Westlake is excited to announce that plastic tubs can now be recycled with curbside recycling. Plastic tubs include: butter tubs, yogurt tubs, yogurt cups, and fruit cups. Items must be clean and dry before placing them in the recycle cart. Recycle more, recycle better in Westlake!
Combine these items in your recycling cart:
- CANS: Includes all metal food and beverage cans such as pop, beer, soup, vegetable, and tuna. Cans should be emptied, rinsed, and then recycled.
- CARTONS: Includes milk, juice, soup and broth plus wine cartons. Cartons should be emptied and rinsed. Replace the cap and place in your curbside recycling.
- GLASS: Includes glass food and beverage bottles and jars. Empty, rinse and replace the lid before recycling. You do not need to remove the label.
- PAPER AND BOXES: All paper and boxes can be recycled, including newspapers, magazines, junk mail, boxes, greeting cards, cereal boxes, cardboard, phone books and clean pizza boxes. Flatten cardboard items, like cereal boxes, to save space.
- PLASTIC BOTTLES, JUGS AND TUBS: All empty plastic bottles, jugs and tubs can be placed in your curbside recycling. This includes items like water and soda bottles, shampoo bottles, milk, water and juice jugs, laundry detergent jugs, bleach bottles, butter tubs, yogurt tubs, yogurt cups, and fruit cups. Items should be emptied and rinsed. Replace the cap/lid and put in your curbside recycling. Not all plastics with the 1-7 symbol are recyclable. The numbering refers specifically to the resin within the plastic.
The Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District offers a recycling and disposal search engine for all residents of Cuyahoga County. Find answers to your recycling, disposal and reuse questions by using the “What Do I Do With?” search bar located at the top of every page of at www.CuyahogaRecycles.org.
Drop-Off Recycling Options
Residents can drop off cans, cartons, glass bottles and jars, paper and boxes, plus plastic bottles, jugs and tubs, at the Police Department (27300 Hilliard Boulevard), Clague Park (1500 Clague Road) and Meadowood Golf Course (29800 Center Ridge Road).
Motor oil can be dropped off year-round at the Westlake Service Center, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Simple Recycling's Curbside Recycling Not affiliated with Rumpke
COLLECTION HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED, UNTIL POSSIBLY SPRING 2021.
Men's, women's and children's clothing, shoes, bedding, belts, books, bras, coats, fashion accessories, gloves, handbags, hats, jackets, kitchenware, linens, pillows, purses, slippers (in pairs), socks, stuffed animals, table linens, tools, towels, toys and undergarments.
Residents can also pick up Simple Recycling flyers, bags & stickers at the following locations: City Hall (27700 Hilliard Blvd.), Service Center (741 Bassett Rd.), Community Services Center (29694 Center Ridge Rd.), and Porter Library (27333 Center Ridge Rd.).
Refrigerator or Freezer RecyclingFirstEnergy's Ohio utilities will pick up and recycle your old refrigerator or freezer (must be working) and you'll get $50. For pick-up, call 855-485-7463 or visit First Energy Corp for program guidelines and more information.
If you have an old refrigerator or freezer for rubbish collection, doors must be removed per City Code 521.01.