As the Holiday Season quickly approaches, please remember these fire safety rules to keep your loved ones safe:
• NEVER leave lit candles unattended near combustibles such as wreaths, ribbons and other decorative materials.
• Keep all doorways and hallways clear of clutter. Before you put an insulating wrap over that drafty door or window, ask yourself, “Is this my second way out in case of fire?”
• Don’t overload extension cords.
• Have your chimney cleaned and inspected annually. Build-ups of creosote in the chimney lining can ignite from sparks and embers.
• Don’t forget to open your fireplace flue before you burn. This can prevent smoke damage in your home.
• If you purchase a live Christmas tree, please be sure to keep it well watered. Do not place your tree close to a heat source, including a fireplace or heat vent. If many needles fall off, the tree has probably dried out and is a fire hazard. Dispose of the tree at a recycling center or curbside for City Service pick-up.
• Finally take a minute to make sure you have a working smoke detector on each level of your home.