News Flash Home
The original item was published from 12/6/2018 2:10:00 PM to 1/1/2019 12:00:13 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: October 24, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Safe Holidays are Happy Holidays at Home and Work

With the holiday season fast approaching, please remember these fire safety rules to keep your loved ones safe:

  • NEVER leave lit candles unattended near combustibles such as wreaths, ribbons and other decorative materials.
  • Keep all doorways and hallways clear of clutter.  Before you put an insulating wrap over that drafty door or window, ask yourself, “Is this my second way out in case of fire?”
  • Don’t overload extension cords. 
  • Have your chimney cleaned and inspected annually.  Build-ups of creosote in the chimney lining can ignite from sparks and embers.
  • Don’t forget to open your fireplace flue before you burn.  This can prevent smoke damage in your home.
  • If you purchase a live Christmas tree, please be sure to keep it well watered.  Do not place your tree close to a heat source, including a fireplace or heat vent. If many needles fall off, the tree has probably dried out, and is a fire hazard.  Dispose of the tree at a recycling center or curbside for City Service pick-up.
  • Finally take a minute to make sure you have a working smoke detector on each level of your home. 

Safety tips for commercial and public spaces...
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home

Firefly fall leaves on a front lawn 85286


Posted on: October 19, 2023
Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.09.15 AM

Issue 88 Fact Sheet

Posted on: September 13, 2023