News Flash

Home

Posted on: January 3, 2019

Prevent Accidental Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of CO. According to the CDC, 430 people are killed and 500,000 go to emergency rooms each year in the U.S. 

Practice these safety tips: 

  • Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
  • If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engines or motors indoors, even if garage doors are open. 
  • Check that the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.
  • Install CO detectors outside of sleeping quarters on each level of the home and test monthly. If your alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location and call 911. 

If you have specific questions or concerns, please call your Fire Department at 440- 871-3441.

Facebook Twitter Email