News Flash Home
The original item was published from 1/3/2019 1:26:02 PM to 3/4/2019 11:30:13 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: January 3, 2019

[ARCHIVED] Prevent Accidental Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of CO. According to the CDC, 430 people are killed and 500,000 go to emergency rooms each year in the U.S. 

Practice these safety tips: 

  • Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
  • If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engines or motors indoors, even if garage doors are open. 
  • Check that the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.
  • Install CO detectors outside of sleeping quarters on each level of the home and test monthly. If your alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location and call 911. 

If you have specific questions or concerns, please call your Fire Department at 440- 871-3441.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home


Introducing Mr. & Mrs. Westlake 2023

Posted on: December 7, 2022

Westlake's New Fire Chief

Posted on: November 14, 2022
September-October Mayor's Newsletter cover photo

September-October 2022 Mayor's Newsletter

Posted on: September 2, 2022
Memorial Day 22 - WPD Color Guard

2022 Memorial Day Parade Recap

Posted on: June 2, 2022
May-June Newsletter 2022 Cover

May-June Mayor's Newsletter

Posted on: May 6, 2022
Rumpke truck

President's Day - 2/21/22

Posted on: February 1, 2023
Jeremy DiBell, Stipe Miocic, Mayor Clough, Matthew Kritzer, Chief Hughes, Mike Freeman edited

Westlake welcomes three new firefighters

Posted on: February 16, 2022
Simple Recycling truck

Simple Recycling collection has resumed

Posted on: October 21, 2021

Updated City of Westlake's GIS

Posted on: April 7, 2016